Exploring the first year of university on Facebook: how student experiences inform a transition curriculum
- This study focuses on the experience of Australian school leavers during their first year of university to propose a model for a learner centred transition curriculum.
- Theorises and methodologises the use of social network sites as data collection tools.
- Examines the experiences of first year students as recorded on Facebook
- Explores the variation of student focus across the first year in Higher Education to determine a set of themes that could frame a transition curriculum.
- Considers the participants’ integration into the university lifestyle using three indicators to make suggestions for when transition success could be monitored and evaluated:
- self efficacy
- autonomous learning
- social integration